Home News National News Rape incident at a girls’ school.

Rape incident at a girls’ school.

53
0
SHARE
Photo credit: Daily Nation

A form two student at Moi Girls’ Nairobi was raped in the early morning hours of Saturday, June 2.

The student had woken up to visit the latrines at around 2 a.m. when an unknown assailant attacked her. According to the students, they raised alarm when they heard their friend scream for help but the matrons and the principal responded much later at around 5 a.m. when the intruder had already left the premises. The girl was then rushed to Nairobi Women’s Hospital.

On hearing the news, distraught parents with children at the school marched to the school to demand that their children be released. The school however denied the parents the chance to leave with their daughters and told them to come for a meeting on Sunday morning to discuss the way forward.

On Sunday morning, the parents were allowed to leave with their daughters after Education Cabinet Secretary ,Amina Mohammed ordered that the school be closed for one week. The Cabinet Secretary has also dissolved the school board and the school’s parents and teachers associations.

The school’s principal,Jael Mureithi has also opted for an early retirement according to the Teachers’ Service Commission.

As the investigations proceed, eight people including six teachers and two members of the non-teaching staff have given DNA samples to detectives from Serious Crime Investigations and the Government chemist for forensics. The eight are those who live in the school or those who are suspected to have been in the school when the incident occurred. So far, no suspect has been arrested but Kilimani O.C.P.D., Michael Muchiri, said that the descriptions of the man so far have helped detectives.

Also following the incident, clashes erupted between traders and the police on Tuesday morning. The police demolished kiosks around the school saying that the kiosks acted as a hideout for criminals who wanted to access the school. Disagreeing with the police however, traders in the region said that the move is a knee-jack reaction to the rape incident and that demolition of their property will not solve the security problem at the school.

The rape incident comes just 8 months after a fire at the school that cost 11 lives.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here